What is Coaching?
Many people who first come to coaching confuse it with other disciplines such as consulting and therapy. To help explain the difference, we like to use the analogy of learning to ride a bike (or learning anything for that matter).
A consultant will start by assessing your needs and then creating a set of criteria for selecting a bike based on the initial assessment. In addition to helping you select the bike, the consultant will also provide you with a set of instructions to learn how to ride the bike including where to put your feet, how to peddle, when to brake, etc. Consultants are true experts and critical to help guide the strategy and execution of companies.
A therapist on the other hand is typically focused on the past and addresses how that might play a role in your fear of riding a bike. They will also explore how that fear relates to other aspects of your life. The goal is to help remove the barrier that was created in the past.
A coach on the other hand is action-oriented and your partner in the process of learning to ride a bike. Your coach will start by understanding your goals and asking questions to explore the best way to learn to ride a bike based on your values, needs, and experience. Your coach will then help guide you through the process of identifying and selecting the right bike based on your needs, preferences, and goals. In addition, your coach will support you in getting on your bike, will run alongside as you learn to ride, and check-in to ensure you are on your path toward your goals. If you fall off, your coach will be there to encourage you to get back on but also challenge you as needed to move faster. Shortly, you will have learned to ride a bike on your own and are able to apply the lessons learned to future challenges.
benefits of coaching
The specific benefits of coaching are unique to each individual given that the coaching agenda is driven by the client. That said, coaching provides the following broad set of benefits to all clients:
- Achieve goals more quickly and efficiently
- Make faster and more effective decisions
- Remove barriers to individual, professional, and company growth
- Align your values with the activities and decisions you make in your personal and professional life
- Gain awareness of new opportunities, solutions, and resources
- Increase focus on the areas most important to your life, career, and business
- Reduce stress through achieving goals and breaking through barriers
is coaching right for you?
Many people come to us for help and start with a simple question, "Is coaching right for me?" to which our response is the following:
- Do you regularly achieve your goals quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum amount of stress?
- Do you strive to achieve ambitious goals, but struggle with getting started?
- Do you lack an accountability mechanism to keep you on track to achieve your goals?
- Are there barriers that keep getting in the way of your success?
- Are your personal values aligned with your work and daily activities?
- Do you struggle with making and sticking with decisions?
- Do you feel alone in your effort to build and grow your business?
If you answered yes to one or more of the questions above, then yes, coaching is right for you. To get started and learn if we are the right fit for you, sign-up for a complimentary 30-minute coaching session.